NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • Senator John McCain tells the stories of celebrated historical figures and lesser-known heroes whose values exemplify the best of the human spirit.
He illustrates these qualities with moving stories of triumph against the odds, hope in adversity, and sacrifices for a cause greater than self-interest. Among the heroes of exemplary character we meet are
• Pat Tillman, whose patriotism obliged him to leave the riches and celebrity of the NFL for a soldier’s life in defense of his country
• Winston Churchill, who, in a renowned eighteen-word remark, counseled schoolboys to “never give up”
• the Catholic priest in Auschwitz who offered to take a condemned man’s place
• a nun, formerly a comfortable Beverly Hills housewife, who works with prisoners in Mexico’s worst jails
• George Washington, whose wisdom and hard-earned self-control helped him survive the chaos of war
Character Is Destiny is McCain’s moving and eloquent tribute to men and women who have lived truthfully, and whose stories will stir the hearts of young and old alike and help prepare us for the hard work of choosing our own destinies.
Acclaimed Vietnam War historian George J. Veith reveals how Hanoi’s and Saigon’s secret policies caused the peace between North and South Vietnam to fail, highlights